Monday, October 7, 2013

Gaberoni

I have not written about Gabe lately. I don't think he can really go by months anymore. "Hi, my child is almost 27 months" just sounds weird. Especially since I am teaching him to tell people that he is 2. He thinks it is funny to say 4 or 3. The other day he said 15 when I asked. He giggles about it afterwards. He is a funny little goober.
Potty Traineding or House Breaking
July 19th Marks the day that we actually began potty training. He had been peeing in the potty since he was 18 months old, but that was randomly and only when he requested it. I did not want to push it on him and then struggle with it for years. On this day, I noticed Gabe straining and just thought maybe I could get him to poop on the potty. With a bribe of gummies he did it! I pulled out the underwear, and it all began. No more diapers for him. I had to make sure to take him every 30-45 minutes, but some of the time he would run to the bathroom himself. After about a week, we weren't having any pooping accidents...until the Tennessee trip at the end of August which threw us off for a few days when we got home, but that has corrected itself. He pretty much remembers to go on his own now. He says, "pee pee!" when he needs to pee and "potty" for poop. He still forgets sometimes, but most of his accidents as of lately aren't really accidents. He tried to pee in the bucket of his fire truck toy the other night. He wears a diaper at nap and at night only.
Nudist Alert! If you see Gabe out in public he will have clothes on, and, thankfully, he keeps them on...sort of (he almost always takes his shoes off). If you are with us at home or at Nana and Papa's or probably the park, you will probably get a taste of how Gabe likes to run around. When Gabe has to pee, he rips off his pants and underwear, goes, and does not care to put anything back on. He prefers to pee outside (the gwass) versus the bathroom. He would run around naked all the time if I would let him. If I can keep him in just underwear, I am happy. When he is naked, he will turn around, say, "Booty. Shake."
Speech
His "f" sounds aren't exactly coming out correctly. He either says "m" or "b."
"mingers" - fingers
"boot" not like the shoe- foot
His "s" sounds have changed to "d" sounds. I am pretty certain he used to say "Sam" and now he calls him "Dam" or "Dammel." "L" sounds like "w"..."wights" for lights. I am hoping it straightens itself out, and I am just leaning on the fact that he is trying to learn so much in language right now that maybe he is having a hard time with all of the phonemes.
Pretend Play
Gabe has really gotten into pretend play lately. He doesn't let one thing go when he is pretending to be an animal. He even responds to us in the language of the animal that he is pretending to be. He is usually a lion or a dog. If you ask for a kiss, he will lick you. Uncle Chris went to shake his hand the other day as he was leaving, and Gabe licked his hand. It takes you back when you are not expecting it. He also roared at Sam the entire time we were in the grocery store one time. Sam thought he was a weirdo.
Sleep
For a little while, sleep was rough for ole Gabester. He was waking up in the middle of the night a lot, and he would not go to sleep by himself at all. I had to sit outside of his baby gate for 30-45 minutes while he fell asleep. It was getting a little ridonculous. We decided to try a nightlight. That helped so much! Some nights we have to go back a couple of times to "pray" or sing "night" or "pee pee." For the past week, I have done something I NEVER EVER wanted or thought I would do, but it has made going to bed a little easier. I allow him to watch/play with "the pad" for about 10-15 minutes in bed.
Our routine looks about like this:
Brush Teeth
Potty
PJs
iPad in bed
Night light and sound machine on and lights off
We pray, sing his good night song, and give him a cup of water
Researchers say that watching TV does not help for bed time, but I think this helps him wind down and calm down for bed instead of the usual throwing the wild kid in the bed and struggle for 45 minutes to fall asleep. I can get him in bed earlier now too.
 
Pictures are from most recent to oldest













 


No comments:

Post a Comment