Thomas Gabriel Gill
July 9, 2011
4:15 pm
7 pounds 10 ounces
20.5 inches long
Tony and I woke up at 4:00 am in order to be at the hospital at 5:00 am. Once we were there they immeditately put us in our labor and delivery room. One nurse came in with no confidence at all, and told me she would try my iv once and if it didn't work, she would have someone else come in and do it. I have never had anyone blow a vein on me. This nurse also put the toco monitor on upside down, so my contractions were not being registered.
I started the pitocin close to 6:00 am, and my doctor broke my water at 7:15 am. My new nurse that I loved (she was Colombian and was great!) informed me that I would have to use a bed pan now to pee! I wish I would have known that before so I could have gone. I held it, an when she asked at 8:30 if I wanted to go ahead and get the epidural, I told her yes because I knew that a catheter would come with it. My contractions were like strong menstrual cramps at that point, but there were no reason to endure any more pain.
The epidural was not as bad as I was expecting. The anesthesioligist gave me a numbing shot that felt like a finger prick. Then she went to work, and she had a hard time getting the needle in and out of my back because my muscles were so tight. I did not feel it at all.
15 minutes later, Gabe's heart rate dropped down to around 60 bpm. My nurse put me on oxygen and was rolling me from side to side as she massaged my stomach trying to get his heart rate back up. Another nurse came into help and massaged his scalp, and then he was all better.
At 2:30, his heart rate got a little low again, and my nurse checked me, and I was ready to go. I started pushing at 2:45 pm. I was so light headed and nauseus (do not eat too many ice chips or popsicles). I felt like I could pass out between pushes. I had my mother, sister, and Tony holding my legs and head. I felt like I could fall asleep in between pushing. Half way through pushing I threw up what was in my stomach, and that gave me a new wind. Instead of holding onto the handle bars, I grabbed my own legs and began pushing. It was difficult, but he finally arrived after an hour and a half of pushing. I had a little tearing but nothing major...thank goodness. My sister was so excited that when she was holding my foot and leg while I was pushing, she was pushing my leg and caused me to have finger indentions in them. She also started feeling hot and had to sit down for a second in order not to pass out from over excitement.
Now we have our precious bundle of joy, and I cannot express how much I love him.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment