Sunday, July 17, 2011

Gabe's First Week

This week has truly been a learning experience.




~Breast Feeding~
I started breast feeding less than an hour after having Gabe.  It was very stressful on both of us.  There were several times where I had to take a deep breath and regroup.  We finally figured it out a little bit, and then he was circumcised.  He was traumatized by this, so he would not eat well after that.  It was about 5 hours later (he hadn't eaten in a few hours before the surgery) that he finally started eating fairly well.  He ate at 7:00 pm and 10:00 pm, then we sent him to the nursery.  He came back in around 1:30 am ate and went back at 3:30 am.  Then he was back around 7:00 am to stay with us.  He ate fairly well, and went to sleep.  I was beginning to be very proud of us.  Then, the student nurses came in with his nurses in order to take him to get his newborn testing and EKG (they heard a murmur and needed to check it out).  The student nurses brought him back, and told me he was very hungry.  It seems that after he has stuff done to him, he gets stressed out.  He would not eat.  He just slept.  I was not panicking because of his non student nurses and the lactation consultant told us that he may not eat very often in the beginning and not to worry.  I hopped in the shower, and when I got out, Tony said the student had been back saying that he really needed to eat because he had not pooped or peed that day.  I tried and tried to get him to nurse.  He was screaming.  I was stressing.  We were playing off of each other which probably was not helping.  Tony called the lactation specialist, and she said he sounded like he was at the point that he was starving and couldn't figure it out due to being so hungry. Tony suggested changing positions, so we tried a take on the football hold.  That was all it took!  My child likes to sit up and eat.  He was not a big fan of laying down and eating.  He is now a professional eater, and I am working on being a professional feeder.  He will eat sitting upright, the cradle hold, and the football hold.

~Throw Up~
I have been very pleased that Gabe does not really spit up much.  I know this may change.  He has spit up about twice since we have been home.  Yesterday, after I fed him, I put him down to change his diaper.  He then threw up everything in his stomach.  It went through his mouth and nose.  It was the scariest thing ever to me.  I got the bulb and suctioned him out.  I hope he never does that again.

~Pee~
One of the nights this past week, I was changing his diaper, and right before I was about to put the other diaper on him, he began to pee.  It went all over his sweet little face and body.  I am sure this will happen more.

~Weight~
Gabe was born at 7 pounds 10 ounces.  When we left the hospital, he weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces.  Since I am breast feeding only, we had to go back to the hospital for weight checks. We went Wednesday for a weight check, and he weighed 7 pounds 3 ounces.  This was still okay since most newborns lose 7% of their body weight.  The lactation consultant said it would have been normal for him to get down to 7 pounds 1 ounce.  We  had to go back on Friday for another weight check, and he weighed in at 7 pounds 11.5 ounces!  That is 1.5 ounces more than his birth weight!


No comments:

Post a Comment